Gain Legal Protection While Living Together
Up until very recently, an unmarried couple could not legally live together. While this law was not aggressively enforced, it was being used in some breakups. This law has been replaced with the legalization of domestic partnerships, giving couples an opportunity to enter into a cohabitation agreement. At the Law Office of Cheryl Bucker, P.A., in Pompano Beach, our attorneys feel compelled to keep our clients informed of their rights and obligations when it comes to their domestic partnership.
We Can Help You Formalize Your Relationship Or Living Arrangement
In order to engage in a domestic partnership in Broward County or another county within Florida, there is a short list of requirements:
- You must be 18.
- You cannot be already married or in a domestic partnership with someone else.
- Both partners must be willingly in a relationship.
- Both partners agree to be responsible for each other.
- Both partners live within the county or at least one partner works in the county.
- None of the requirements state that a domestic partnership or cohabitation agreement must be between only a man and a woman. LGBT partners are entitled to a domestic partnership if they so choose.
There are many benefits that come with this new law. However, as it is new legislation, it is imperative that you consult an educated family law attorney to help draft your cohabitation agreement. At the Law Office of Cheryl Bucker, P.A., our lawyers can help you understand what these agreements mean and what happens in the event of a separation.
Waiting To Start Can Jeopardize Both Parties
It is crucial to gain legal protection as early as possible – even if you and the other person end up keeping the same arrangement for decades. To learn more about domestic partnership and cohabitation agreements, contact the Law Office of Cheryl Bucker, P.A., online or call 954-773-8983 or toll-free at 888-392-5781. Our lawyers offer complimentary initial consultations. Located just before the intercoastal bridge in Pompano Beach, our office is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Off-site visits can be arranged. We accept credit cards.