Protecting The Rights Of Grandparents In Custody Matters
Grandparents play an irreplaceable role in the lives of their grandchildren. They serve as mentors, confidants, positive role models and sometimes even parental figures. Unfortunately, grandparents have limited rights when it comes to their grandchildren. At the Law Office of Cheryl Bucker, P.A., in Pompano Beach, Florida, our family law attorneys can make it slightly easier for you to be involved in your grandchildren’s lives if a parent is incapable of being a full-time caregiver.
What Rights Do Florida Grandparents Have?
Although federal law does not afford any rights to grandparents over their grandchildren, Florida law does provide some rights in certain situations. A grandparent may be named the custodian or legal guardian of his or her grandchild in the following circumstances:
- If both of the child’s parents agree that the grandparent should become the child’s primary caregiver.
- If the child has lived with his or her grandparent for at least 10 consecutive days within the last 30 days.
- If the parents are endangering the child.
Alternatively, grandparents can seek visitation if one of the following conditions are true:
- Both parents have passed away
- Both parents or the sole custodial parent is missing
- Both parents or the sole custodial parent is in a vegetative state and will likely not recover
- One parent meets one of the above criteria and the other parent has a felony conviction or is otherwise unfit to care for the child according to the court
No matter what situation you are in, seeking visitation or custody of a grandchild is rarely an easy process. Our lawyers know the law and have years of experience helping grandparents seek rights to their grandchildren.
We Offer Free Consultations
If you have questions regarding grandparents’ rights, please contact us online or call us at 954-773-8983 or toll-free at 888-392-5781. Your first consultation is free. We are located in Pompano Beach just before the intercoastal bridge on East Atlantic Boulevard in Atlantic Square Plaza. We accept credit cards.