Your Tomorrow
Starts Today

Common Questions About Family Law Issues

Your family may be at the center of your life. When conflict or challenges arise, it is important that you have the information you need to make the best decisions possible.

The Law Office of Cheryl Bucker, P.A., offers guidance to families in Pompano Beach and the surrounding communities. If you are concerned or confused about your rights and legal options, our attorneys can help at 954-773-8983 or toll-free at 888-392-5781. Email us for a consultation and read about frequently asked family law questions below.

If The Other Parent Is Not Paying Child Support, What Can I Do?

When there is a valid court order for child support, the parent who is responsible for meeting payments must fulfill their obligation. If that parent’s circumstances have changed, they can seek a child support modification. However, they must abide by the existing order until the court changes it.

As a parent who receives child support, you know that these payments are critical to the well-being of your child. Contact your lawyer if the other parent fails to meet the payments. Failure to pay child support is a serious offense for which an attorney can hold the parent accountable in court.

As A Grandparent, Do I Have A Right To See My Grandchild?

Grandparents do not have the same rights as parents. If a child’s parents choose to keep you away from the child, and the child is not abandoned or in danger, you might not have a legal remedy.

In Florida, however, grandparents may petition the court to obtain visitation rights for grandchildren. Grandparents can also obtain custody of their grandchildren in certain situations. Finally, grandparent adoption is possible when the circumstances call for a permanent solution. To pursue these options, you will need a strong legal argument to support your request.

Do Courts Favor The Mother Over The Father In Child Custody Disputes?

This is a common misconception. The gender of the parents does not affect child custody cases. Instead, the court assesses each parent’s ability to care for the child and whether the child would be in danger under his or her care. However, some fathers may need to establish paternity in order to gain parental rights, including custody of their child.

I Live With My Partner, But We Are Not Married. Do I Have Rights?

In some cases, a person who lived with another person may have rights to alimony in a breakup or any other separation. However, it is advisable to create a cohabitation agreement or form a domestic partnership in order to gain the strongest legal protection.