Your Tomorrow
Starts Today

Modifying child support after a job change

On Behalf of | Apr 21, 2021 | Child Support |

A new job can be a reason for celebration, even if it is your child’s other parent who is making the career change. If his or her income is changing substantially, you may be able to obtain a new child support order.

The Florida Department of Revenue has specific guidelines for when parents can request a child support modification, but there is also room for adjustment based on the judge’s assessment of the unique factors of your situation.

A change in circumstance

The law bases the amount of the original order on a formula using your income, the other parent’s income and the number of overnights you spend with your child, among other factors. There has to be a change in one of those factors that is significant and permanent.

A judge may consider it a significant change if the new support calculation would be at least 15% different from its current amount, and not less than $50. If your child’s other parent does not plan to change jobs again, or if he or she has already been in the position for six months, the judge will probably agree that it is also a permanent change.

You can file the petition in the circuit court for the modification. If you anticipate that your ex will file an argument against the modification, more documentation or evidence may be necessary to show that the new circumstances warrant more support for your child.